GEMS Pathways to College and Careers provides a rigorous, engaging academic program for over-aged, under-credited and disengaged students that enables them to reach three goals:
- Earn a high school diploma
- Prepare for success in post-secondary education and employment
- Obtain life skills needed for the transition to adulthood
Using an innovative credit-recovery school design, GEMS Pathways to College and Careers provides a transformational learning environment that re-engages students, fuels their interest and motivation to achieve academically, and enables them to master the skills to obtain meaningful employment and contribute positively to their communities.
GEMS Pathways offers a full menu of programs within its model. We customize a program to meet the unique challenges of your district and/or school. This approach ensures a positive impact on reaching the goal of preparing your students for graduation and college and career readiness.
GEMS Pathways to College and Careers Core Components
- Academically rigorous and engaging curriculum based on the workplace requirements of today’s fastest growing industries:
- Health Care and Social Services
- Environmental Sciences
- Computer Systems and Design
- Business Management
- Scientific and Technical Services
- Construction and Building Trades
- Career exploration, professional internships and college/career readiness content integrated in the academic curriculum.
- A Youth & Family Development component that provides positive adult guidance and community connections.
- Virtual learning and flexible scheduling, including afternoon and evening hours, to accommodate students’ responsibilities at home, work schedules and personal interests.
GEMS Pathways includes a quality review process to ensure program effectiveness. Our success is continuously measured against the Essential Standards of School Excellence shared by high-performing schools around the world.
The GEMS Pathways Model
The GEMS Pathways model includes options for various enrollment configurations. The small, personalized environment provides students a high degree of one-to-one and small-group guidance and instruction geared to meet their individual needs. The program can be housed in an existing school or at an off-site location within a school community; in either case, the space is designed to resemble a college setting or workplace rather than a traditional classroom.
While the learning environment is kept small, the model is designed for replication; multiple sites can be implemented to serve greater numbers of students.
Along with an engaging curriculum tied to the content of today’s fastest growing industries, GEMS Pathways provides the intensive support and targeted interventions—particularly in literacy and mathematics—that this student population needs to succeed. The curriculum, supportive small environment, use of advanced technology, and a unique Youth & Family Development component help students work to their potential and reach their academic and life goals.
Serving Your Students
GEMS Pathways identifies and supports each student’s individual learning needs. This makes it particularly effective for over-age and under-credited students as well as special populations such as students with special learning challenges or those with limited English proficiency. These students require the alternative setting, flexible scheduling, and virtual learning options that GEMS Pathways provides along with the challenging coursework to meet graduation requirements and readiness for college.
Each student has an individualized learning plan informed by continuous assessment of his or her ability and progress. Learning challenges identified by assessments are addressed with effective interventions that promote a sense of responsibility for learning and pride in achievement. Social-Emotional and Life Skills Development Students receive wrap-around support in and outside of school to proactively address the challenges that may have led to their disengagement from school. Activities and supports focus on:
- Building social competency skills such as communication, interpersonal skills and problem solving.
- Providing an adult mentor to each student to ensure all needs are met academically, emotionally and professionally.
- Counseling and other emotional supports.
- Health and parenting information.
- Life skills for making the transition to adulthood.
For more information on the GEMS Pathways to College and Careers program, please contact Ana Tilton at 831-713-8966 or email@example.com.